The material and style of nursing shoes dictates how the shoes should be cleaned and disinfected. There are different types of shoes. How to clean nursing shoes depends on the type of shoe.
However, shoes made with a few of these ingredients are at the top of nurses ’list of favorites. So, let’s take a look at the components of making shoes.
- Textile or fabric shoes (cotton, polyester, wool. nylon)
Remember: there are different types of shoes depending on the structure. Such as: clogs, crocs, canvas, slippers, boots, sandals etc. Similarly, there are different types of shoes depending on the material used to make the shoes. Such as: leather, fabric, mesh, rubber, synthetic etc.
However, I will discuss easy ways to clean and disinfect all these types of shoes for nurses. If there are any instructions from the manufacturer to take care of the shoes, know them first. For example, Dansko Company has created a cleaning chart to take care of all their shoes.
Without further ado, see how to disinfect and clean your shoes.
How to Clean All Types Of Nursing Shoes
Hopefully, you are already aware of the ingredients to make nursing shoes. Since the shoes are made of different materials, the method of cleaning them is also different. We will discuss ways to clean nursing shoes made from all the types of materials mentioned above. So without further ado, let’s take a look at shoe cleaning methods.
Clean your all types leather nursing shoes
Is there anyone who does not wear leather shoes! You will not find such a person in the world. Meanwhere, nurses-doctors are involved in a specially respected profession. So their main choice is leather shoes. Here’s how to clean normal leather, special leather, faux leather and patent leather nursing shoes.
- A brush
- A bowl
- A hand sanitizer
- Damp cloth
- Dry cloth
How to clean normal and special leather:
- If your shoes are laced, Please firstly unlace your shoes.
- Now you clean the top of the shoe with the shoe cleaning brush. Be sure to maintain softness when rubbing, so as not to stain.
- When the upper part is finished rubbing, clean the lower part of the shoe.
- Hopefully the heavy dirt is gone from the shoes. Now lightly soak a piece of cloth in soapy water and clean the top and bottom.
- If there is lace, wash the lace in soapy water.
- Now dry your shoes in the sun and finally, clean the shoes with a soft dry cloth.
How to clean patent leather:
- First wipe the bottom of the shoe lightly with a soft brush. ( Warning: These shoes have high-gloss finishing. So do not clean the upper part of these shoes with a brush).
- Clean the top of the shoe with a cloth with soapy water.
- Now dry for 3-5 minutes and then wipe with another light wet cloth.
- Lastly, Now dry the shoes well and wipe with a soft dry cloth.
Note: If there are stains on the shoes, you can soak the cotton in the hand sanitizer and use it to remove the scuff marks on your shoes.
Clean your Canvas, fabric and mesh shoes
These shoes are able to absorb dirt. Which makes it difficult for any user to clean the dirt. Fortunately, with care, if you follow the right steps, you can keep the fabric and fake shoes free of dirt.
- Liquid laundry detergent
- Warm water
- Soft brush
- Melamine sponge
How to Clean:
- Firstly, mix two quarts of hot water and one teaspoon of liquid laundry detergent.
- Now remove the stains from the shoes with a soft brush and using detergent.
- Now to wash the shoes thoroughly, soak them in a mixture of hot water-detergent and clean them with a sponge.
- If the dirt is light, clean it thoroughly by soaking a cloth, without dipping the shoe into the mixture.
- When the dirt is removed, wipe the shoes with a cloth soaked in fresh water.
- Finally, dry the shoes well in the sun.
Tennis and Athletic shoes
Nurses who do regular morning walks and sports must wear tennis and athletic shoes. These shoes are designed to withstand harsh wear and tear, so they tend to get dirty quickly. However, both leather and fabric shoes can be cleaned in a washer.
- Baking soda or detergent
- Dry cloth
- Shoe polish & conditioner
How to clean:
- Firstly, make a mixture with 1 cup hot water and 1 tablespoon baking soda.
- Now you remove the laces and insoles from the shoe.
- If there is a lot of dirt, clean it with normal water.
- Keep cleaning the shoes by soaking a piece of cloth in this mixture.
- Clean your shoe lace dip in this mixture . And if the insole has any odor, sprinkle it with baking soda.
- Now dry the shoes, laces and insoles in the sun.
Suede and NuBuck shoes
Suede and NuBuck are considered to be one of the most common materials used in making shoes. These cannot be cleaned like conventional shoes. The way you can brighten and polish both regular and patent leather shoes is not the way to do them. Also you can’t run them through the toss and spin cycle in the washing machine. Let’s see how to clean Suede and NuBuck nursing shoes.
- Nubuck & suede brush or sponge
- Combi foam
- Magic gum
- Suede and Nubuck protector spray
How to clean:
- Lightly brush the dirt off the dirty places on the bottom of the shoe. Keep rubbing with a brush or sponge until the shiny look of the suede is restored.
- Keep rubbing using magic gum to wipe off hard stains.
- Use combi foam with a brush to remove water and salt stains.
- Now clean the shoes with a wet cloth.
- Finally, wipe the shoes with a dry cloth or paper, and dry in the sun.
Rubber and Synthetic shoes
Disclosure in rubber and synthetic shoes is often caused by dirt and wrinkles. It can look worn then, you can revive your shoe if you want. Regular cleaning of shoe rubber or synthetic soles can make them more durable. In addition, nurses’ shoes are attacked by dirt as well as germs. So nurses have no choice but to do regular rubber or synthetic cleaning. This saves you the hassle of buying a new pair for a while.
- Laundry Detergent and Baking Soda
- Sponge or cloth
How to Clean:
- First, wipe off the light dirt on the shoes with a dry soft brush.
- Mix one tablespoon of baking soda and one tablespoon of detergent powder in a bowl.
- Now clean your rubber or synthetic shoes using this mixture with a brush.
- If your shoes are slightly dirty, just wash them with soapy water.
- Now clean the shoes thoroughly by soaking a cloth or sponge in normal water.
- Now dry your shoes well in the sun.
Foam materials shoes
Foam is currently used in most good quality shoes. In today’s world there is no alternative to human work. You have to be constantly engaged in some work. And if you are a nurse, then there is no word. You have to work 10-12 hours. So you bought a shoe that has foam and want to clean it. Don’t worry, you can follow the steps to clean nursing shoes.
- Soft brush
- Skechers Athletic – Cleanser gel
How to Clean:
- Firstly, remove the shoe foam insoles and if there is an odor, sprinkle baking soda on it. Or dry in the sun. Now clean the light dirt of the whole shoe with a soft brush.
- Then clean the whole shoe using cleanser gel with a toothbrush.
- If you do not have cleanser gel, clean it using laundry detergent. In this case, be careful not to get the shoes too wet.
- Now wipe the shoes well using a dry cloth.
- Dry the last shoe well in the sun.
Nurse shoes are a special wear for everyday comfort and durability, so they need to be taken care of and cleaned after daily use. You were worried about how to clean nursing shoes. We have already mentioned the method of cleaning all types of shoes for you.
If you also use multiple pairs, it will be easier to keep them clean every day and prolong their life. Just make sure you take good care of them, then they will treat you like new.
However, in the end you enjoy your clean shoes with ease.
Check also related article: